Continue to keep your baby skin to skin, and if you have to you can always add in herbs to help increase your supply. We interviewed a certified aromatherapist to get the inside scoop on how to do it safely! Please let me know if you have any further questions. It is probably not as big of a deal as altoids, but still can effect the supply. No wonder I can see a drop in my milk supply. Ready to ditch overwhelm & create the healthier home you desire? If so will eliminating the peppermint tea allow me to produce in time… Any day now, I hope. Peppermint. It is generally more of an issue if the peppermint is ingested, however there have been reports of some problems with the peppermint oil causing some decrease in supply topically. Are all varieties of mint anti galactagogues? * Plant Therapy recently added a Dilution Chart Magnet to their website. I'm Erin. If you are allergic to peanuts or are diabetic, then you need to NOT take a capsule that contains fenugreek. The amounts of these herbs normally used in If you notice a significant drop then you can start an herbal galactagogue to help boost. Glad you are using the essential oils! Plant Therapy’s blend Blues Buster is formulated to increase your positive thoughts and emotions. I diffuse peppermint oil with others for sinus issues. Worry Free (with some precautions) is also another oil that could help momma deal with stress. A wonderful de-stressing and fatigue easing agent, it is used as a natural remedy for various health conditions, … Since there is at least a hint that peppermint can decrease milk supply I would never suggest it’s use in the early postpartum when milk supply is being established. Best of luck! On top of that I would go to a health food store and get some More Milk Plus capsules and begin taking 2 capsules 2x a day. If you get engorged cold compresses will help. ... * There are experts that say Peppermint will decrease your milk supply (this would include Peppermint Tea and Peppermint Essential Oil… However, drinking a cup of peppermint tea will not cause milk reduction. I realize it’s shampoo and your hair doesn’t absorb into your blood stream, but it also runs down your body… However, some moms have noticed a decrease in supply after eating things We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. If it does, you will know what it was that caused it, and can quickly retrieve your milk supply by increasing stimulation and or adding in a an herbal galacagogue. Will this affect my milk production? You can try rubbing those on your breasts as well. Thank you for your help! Peppermint, menthol, parsley and sage are four of the biggest herbal culprits when it comes to putting a damper on milk. If you prefer not to diffuse in the same room as your baby, you can also add a couple drops to a cotton pad and place it next to your bed. Other possibilities that could help include: As for balancing hormones, Plant Therapy has a synergy called Balance that could be helpful. Kellymom.com reports mothers have successfully used these candies to decrease their milk, but La Leche League states you would have to eat strong peppermint candies in large amounts on a regular basis to affect your supply. You will have to drink a lot of peppermint tea to notice any decrease in milk supply. This is best used only if you are in the process of weaning, though it may also be used in extreme cases of oversupply when the usual measures are not effective. Most of the peppermint issues are associated with you ingesting the oil vs. being around it. However, some moms have noticed a decrease in supply … For topical use with infants, we normally recommend a mother dilute the oils (1-2%) and apply them topically on herself. 4 Sage A little sage in a supper dish here or there probably won’t affect your breast milk supply… You are probably okay with using a hair product with sage. You’d have to drink very large amounts daily (think quarts!) The short answer is, yes. Any bizarre chance this could be my problem?? There is so much research to support acupuncture working to increase your supply. Unfortunately, essential oils are not known to increase milk production. You should be okay, unless you happen to have really sensitive skin. I value your input. Are you trying to lower your supply? A study conducted by Australia New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology has collected evidence supporting it. The chemical constituents of 1,8 Cineole and Menthol have been known to cause breathing problems in young children. Peppermint tea is a weak form of peppermint, and you would need to drink large amounts before it would affect your milk supply. By Will Odom, Contributing Writer (and Erin’s hubby!)Â. im trying to stop my breastmilk on the second day of cold turkey. There are many reasons why you may want to quickly dry up your breast milk supply. But only one drop orally to start. Okay, weaning the baby or toddler from the breast milk is probably actually the hardest part, but drying up the milk comes in a close second. Hopefully you have had your little one by now. Best to not use it. There also is a new tea by Traditional Medicines called Shatavari Cardamom tea that works amazingly well! Also I use a blend of essential oils on my baby that contains peppermint when he has a stomach ache, so it rubs into my fingers when I rub it on his stomach, what is your take on this? Some mothers have claimed to decrease their milk supply with strong peppermint candies like Altoids. Sage is more of an issue when you ingest it. I’m 39.2 now, I’ve been steeping peppermint tea in my pregnancy tea for the last month or so. I popped a piece in my mouth the other day and remembered ahh this isnt good! You can dilute the thing with vegetable oil with high quality. Oakmoss Instead I would focus on consistently … As with peppermint oil, moms using lemon balm have noted their milk supply recovered to normal several days after discontinuing use of the oil. You can also mix it into other fo… While breast milk donation is a great idea, it may not be an easily available option so natural remedies such as peppermint oil can be used to decrease milk supply. Or since you have essential oils….fennel and cleary sage oils (not straight sage) have been shown to increase milk. This is one of the things that concerns me the most with a lot of the essential oil … Peppermint (and spearmint) can potentially decrease milk supply…but not necessarily. So in #10 above, does that mean no oil should be used neat? I have had milk supply issues with both children (currently nursing and supplementing a 7-month old). Would this cause issues to my milk supply? Yes it is safe to breastfeed your baby while drinking sage tea, however the sage tea will dry up your milk supply. Weaning: How to dry up your breast milk supply, http://pinkpapayaparties.com/pdf/Catalog/Catalog.pdf.html. Here are some common issues and some oil suggestions… Essential oils for breastfeeding: A healthy Milk Supply. I’ve been breast feeding my 16th month old and he eats more table food than anything and only nurses before his nap and through the night. The time of diffusion can increase as your baby gets older. I typically make my own “vapor rub”, and use peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil and camphor oil in it. The Just for Women Roll-on Set contains some great oils to help with mental, physical, and hormonal balance. It is possible, especially if you are ingesting it at all. What about using peppermint oil topically? For example, certified aromatherapist Robert Tisserand, in his book Essential Oil Safety, states that there are oils that can safely be used with babies, and he gives a dilution recommendation for all age ranges. The information on this website has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease. Clary Sage is also a great oil to help balance hormones. As such, Plant Therapy decided it is always better to be on the safer side.Â. Topical (for the mother) would be fine too as long as it isn’t applied some place that will be in direct contact with the baby’s skin. However often, the drop in milk production has everything to do with the holiday treats you may be consuming. Hi! I knew to stay away from natural peppermint but didnt know the candy and flavoring would affect my milk so much but explains why my supplies been low. I didn’t realize it until I read the ingredients after I rubbed it all in my hair. The amounts of these herbs normally used in cooking are unlikely to be of concern; it's mainly the larger amounts that might be used therapeutically that could pose a problem. I know in a few weeks my supply should align with her demand. A complete list of oils to restrict or avoid by all routes can be found in Essential Oil Safety by Tisserand and Young. Don’t consume (or diffuse) peppermint in essential oil or herbal form while nursing. It is possible. Just drank two cups of pepermint Tea today,didn’t know it would lower milk supply will two cups do that if so how how do I reverse it?? Best of luck! KidSafe Nighty Night and Calming The Child and Sweet Dreams are very popular blends. So you may want to double check before taking second helpings of any of these lovely tasty treats now and through out the year! Your email address will not be published. However,  Andrea Butje, the founder and owner of Aromahead Institute, teaches that essential oils shouldn’t really be used at all topcially on children under the age of 5; though, she does topically use hydrosols on infants and children under 5. To use dried sage (Salvia officinalis) for reducing milk supply, take 1/4 teaspoon of sage 3x per day for 1-3 days. In some cases it is the lack of sleep, the stress from festivities, or the increase of the flu and cold season putting a damper on that milk supply. We add a couple of drops of Lavender to the pad inside each animal at night, and they snuggle up for a good night’s sleep.Â. Could drinking mint infused water (approx. You poor thing. Personal Note: We love the KidSafe oils in our home and use them almost daily, and there are several reasons why: However, all of our KidSafe oils can be used with babies as long as they are used correctly and with extra precautions. Another think if your using the cabbage for engorgement an swelling but dont leak any milk does that mean it’s gone but I’m still engorged tho ? Until then, I need some relief since I am oozing milk usually an hour after she ate. Yes peppermint is very strong! For postpartum depression, I would actually reach for citrus oils since they are very uplifting. One of them even made an appearance at preschool share day. What is your recommendation for use of the product if I don’t want to decrease my milk supply yet? Ideally peppermint oil capsules would be best if you can get a hold of them, but anyway you can get the peppermint in your system the better. Juniper berry Traditionally, peppermint oil (in addition to several other herbs) has been used in order to help decrease milk supply. I often recommend the use of peppermint to reduce supply. I absolutely love diffusing Lavender in the home after baby comes. This is what makes them a great option for babies! You can get it back however, just remember to add in a few more pumping sessions and if you need to you can always start taking some herbs to increase your supply. Remember your breasts work by supply and demand, the more they are stimulated, the more milk you will make. Peppermint oil to dry up milk supply. Not only is it safer, it is effective AND will save you money! She had a horrible reaction. If a drop in supply is noticed, my guess is that it would be due to a different underlying reason. If the foot spray was sprayed on the top of your foot you should be okay, however if it was applied to the bottom of your feet that is a different story, as the soles of our feet absorb everything and spread it through your system. You can start adding in herbs such as more milk plus or fenugreek. Have you also tried acupuncture? This process of drying up breast milk is called lactation suppression. Peppermint in pregnancy is perfectly fine. It won’t be as strong as ingesting it, but could still effect the supply. Oregano you can just mix in your food and it will help lower your supply, but it is not as effective as peppermint and sage. Sage and spearmint also have an effect. Best of luck for a safe and blessed birth. She also suggests diffusing a limited number of oils. How often do you need to drink it to help reduce your supply a large amount? No it isn’t quite gone if you are still hard, but the process is definitely working. Best of luck! essential oils can be very powerful in decreasing a supply. Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! Never fear, if you have been ingesting these things and have noticed a decrease in your milk, the good news is that it is easy to bring it back to full production. Robert Tisserand said, “I have recently changed my stance on this after seeing the number of people experiencing adverse reactions to essential oils that are not high risk, such as frankincense, helichrysum, and lavender. I’ve tried to wean before but it wasn’t a success. If you want a cosmetic effect 1% is a safe and effective guideline.”. Apart from Jasmine oil, crushed jasmine flowers, if applied on breasts, reduces the milk supply. For we well know that decongestants and anti-histamines will drastically lower your milk supply and even dry it up. It’s so calming to us all. Gum should not effect your milk supply, there is not enough peppermint in that to do much. Worth a try! “But the real kicker is – you don’t need to do it. Do I boil some water and than put the oregano or boil both n than drink it without sugar? We are so grateful and in love with our little man! My husband uses a body was with peppermint essential oil in it. Is that enough to decrease supply? Am I at risk for a drop in supply?? To “rinse” an essential oil off you should use a carrier oil and not water. Great article it was such an interesting and informative article. Just remember supply and demand. Use on Babies and Children. Pemimpin global dalam teknologi aroma diffuser … “I am also incredulous to find that people are using undiluted oils on their face in order to improve their complexion. Plant Therapy went a step further when creating our KidSafe line of synergies. Check out Plant Therapy’s KidSafe chart. Avoid using peppermint oil as it is known to decrease the supply of milk … You can always have some oatmeal or anything with oats and barley in it. Like mentioned above, you could diffuse any of these oils in your baby’s room for 30 minutes before bedtime and then shut the diffuser off when you put the baby to sleep. Lavender and Roman Chamomile are both great oils for soothing all types of discomfort from tummy troubles to calming. 2-3 drops of oil in 4 tsp of carrier is 0.5% or 1-2 drops of oil in 4 tsp of carrier is 0.25%). However, anything with menthol or peppermint that you are touching can lower a supply. I’m interested in using a topical product (the body scrub and Cree found on page 31 of the catalog here: http://pinkpapayaparties.com/pdf/Catalog/Catalog.pdf.html) and I’m particularly concerned about the possible effect on my milk supply caused by the essential oils in the product (esp spearmint). Some women have a robust supply and they don’t have to worry about it “dipping” or not having enough or their baby. Besides our KidSafe synergies which were formulated specifically for common concerns in children, some common single oils include Lavender (very calming and great for the skin) and Roman Chamomile (also very gentle and calming). I am feeding a 6 week old and would much appreciate any information. If you haven’t noticed a decrease as of yet, you are probably just fine. Peppermint, menthol, parsley and sage are four of the biggest herbal culprits when it comes to putting a damper on milk. How often can I have a peppermint tea? I unknowingly had two full bars of chocolate infused with pure peppermint oil, over a few days. Is there anyway you can get rid of the too much menthol or reverse the effect? I wouldn’t eat them, especially if you are having a problem with your supply. Be careful with this if you are notin the weaning process! Also, a weight loss home remedy I want to use contains dried mint leaves. how much peppermint is effective to lower. For children 2+, we recommend diffusing no more than 30 minutes on and 60 minutes off if diffusing all day. Hydrosols don’t typically work well when diffusing because they are so gentle and less potent. Even a small amount of peppermint oil will reduce milk supply for some women Among those who reported no effect, some were trying to reduce their supply because they were weaning. 3 of my kids have been sick and I’m applying peppermint essential oils for them. I would consult with your cardiologist before trying anything new. Since I am so excited about their responses, I want to share what I learned from them about using essential oils with babies and while pregnant or breastfeeding. In some cases, this might be daily for a couple of weeks, in other cases it might be 1-2 times a week or less. Build up to the next feedings has become so painful. Trying to lower milk supply. Every winter, my answering service gets flooded with calls from concerned mothers who can’t understand why all of sudden in these holiday months, there milk supply has seemed to drastically fallen. For diffusing with a small baby in the home, we recommend only using KidSafe oils and only diffusing for 30 minutes 1-2 times per day. what about lifesavers GREEN_O_MINT. My baby has been nursing more frequently and breasts have been feeling emptier for a couple of days.6 week old Baby tends to have green poop in morning diaper right after waking but yellow the rest of the day. She has latched very well, but I am only able to feed from one side which still doesn’t empty my breasts. If you are only smelling it, and using it as aroma therapy then it may not effect your supply as drastically. Lavender cooking are unlikely to be of concern; it’s mainly the larger amounts that might be used therapeutically that could pose a problem. 1. With the arrival of our newest bouncing baby boy, I began doing some research on safely using essential oils with babies and while breastfeeding.Â. had overproduction with all 3 other kids, same now with new baby. Hi! Had to rinse many times to remove the effect it had on her. One great option is to diffuse for 30 minutes before bed in the baby’s bedroom and then shut the diffuser off when you put the baby to sleep. Thank you for any insight! You can drink peppermint tea, eat peppermint candies or put a drop of essential oil … Hi, I have a muscular injury – my shoulder muscle and have been applying an ointment with eucalyptus oil. You are doing great. Peppermint Oil: Peppermint oil is one of the well known milk reduction oils. Orange sweet The most common adverse reaction that comes from using essential oils is a skin reaction that is most often related to the use of undiluted oils topically. However, why peppermint oil affects … Do you chew the Altoids or just suck on them to help decrease milk supply ??? If you are interested in diffusing oils, it is best not to diffuse the oils … Using undiluted essential oils will dry your skin as well as increase the risk of allergic reaction. I have mitrovalve valve prolapse. Are peppermint altoids Ok to use? It does have some of the peppermint in it that could cause a problem. I also dilute with a carrier oil, and the top aromatherapists do not recommend using it neat. So it is best to stay away from it. They answered my questions more thoroughly than I expected, and I was very impressed with their commitment to educate and find a safe balance to using essential oils with babies and children.